The Mask Pandemic

UPDATE: THE SCHOOL BOARD VOTED 4 TO 3 TO MAKE MASKS OPTIONAL BEGINNING ON NOVEMBER 8TH. THEY WILL ONCE AGAIN VOTE AT THE NEXT BOARD MEETING. 

Since early 2020 we’ve had a big problem world wide. People from China showed cases first, then cases quickly spread across the world like a wildfire. This virus is called the Coronavirus, also known as Covid-19. Many people are trying to do as much as they can about this problem, which usually isn’t enough. They are trying to stop it from spreading to other people. But recently things got worse with the virus evolving and being able to spread even faster. Things will continue to get worse with more locations opening up and being more populated, leading to more and more cases.

Since things are opening up, one thing  that has caused a major problem is, with schools opening up for students. At the start of school we were allowed to roam around without masks, which led to an instant spike of Covid-19 cases. Most to even all schools have chosen to permit a mask mandate once again in hopes to stop cases from rising. Since a mask mandate is placed you would expect that students and teachers would follow them correctly, right? Well you’re wrong, students and teachers usually have their masks under their nose so they can breathe freely, sometimes they even have them on their chins or completely off. Surprisingly it’s not just students this time, teachers have been plagued with it too. Both students and teachers constantly have their masks on incorrectly. You will see at least 5 students with their masks on incorrectly during class changes or even in class. Students, being young, think that they still have a lower risk of contracting Covid-19 just like the beginning of the pandemic, but that’s where they’re wrong.

With the delta variant being a major problem, everyone is at risk no matter the age. Especially since there is a larger scale of students in schools, the amount of cases will be going up. Masks and social distancing is a key role to helping people get rid of this pandemic. People already know that they should be doing these key roles but they chose to ignore it very heavily by having their masks down and being very close with friends and other people. In doing so could risk other people getting the virus without considering others health and other problems that could make things worse. If this continues, as much as people hate it we might have to quarantine once again to lower cases.