Teens Find Trouble With TikTok

According to Know Your Meme, the “devious lick” trend began earlier this year on September 1, 2021, when a TikTok user posted a video of themselves snatching disposable masks with the description “a month into school absolutely devious lick.”

Students quickly hopped on the trend and are now getting in trouble because of this so-called “devious lick” trend. Students who are doing hundreds and in some cases, thousands of dollars of damage and stolen property. TikTok followers in high schools and colleges have been releasing similar clips of their heists since the original came out. According to Mashable, the hashtag “#deviouslick” has over 175 million views as of Monday. The behavior has been denounced by the school administration, who have labeled it vandalism and theft. The Coachella Valley Unified School District, located east of Los Angeles, has published an “urgent notice” on Facebook to warn students about “a TikTok problem that is affecting school campuses across the country.” Some local schools like South Iredell and Oakwood IB have also sent out warnings to parents and teachers about the issues.

Teachers have asked parents to tell their kids to not participate in this trend. Administrations and law enforcement have warned of a long list of possible trends to come. Students should be aware that most of these can bring about legal charges aside from monetary and emotional damage.

What do you think? Will students listen or not?