Suicide Prevention Must Become a Top Priority!

Suicide is a tragedy that has hit our high schools especially hard. Recently, a local high school student ended his life. This is the 8th known suicide of a high school student in Iredell County since the Covid Pandemic began (March 2020). 

One is too many. Eight is a crisis. 

Mental Health must be taken seriously. No one should feel like death is their only option. Schools should be equipped with trained personnel and resources to provide support, awareness, prevention, and emergency care.

Schools can only do so much. Parents have to step up and be involved in the lives of their children. We are in a culture where social media has taken over the attention of teens. Parents shouldn’t be afraid to pull their kids away from technology. Play a board game. Talk to your kids. Go to a park. Be present. Make them be present with you.

Friends may not know how to help or what to do if someone is depressed or suicidal but don’t let that stop you from trying to help. Tell someone. Reach out to a teacher, a parent, a trusted adult and let them know you are concerned. You aren’t betraying a friend by seeking help. You may be saving their life. They are worth it. So are you!

It takes a village. Our students need resources, guidance, and direction for navigating life and the mixed-up emotions they are dealing with. Together, we can make a difference!

If you or anyone you know is having suicidal thoughts please reach out for help or contact National Suicide Prevention Lifeline @800-273-8255 or text Hello to 741741.